Culture & Heritage
Pulau Tikus Loop

Discover Pulau Tikus for free with the recently launched shuttle service called 'Pulau Tikus Loop'. The shuttle bus offers free rides to areas such as Jalan Kelawei, Jalan Bagan Jermal, Jalan Burma and Jalan Pangkor. Catch these nearby attractions when you board the 'Pulau Tikus Loop' shuttle.

GurneyPlaza (Stop #1)
If shopping is your main incentive, shop for international and local brands tucked within Gurney Plaza before continuing your adventure with Pulau Tikus Loop shuttle bus. Look out for established brands such as Coach, Rolex, Tissot and more.

GurneyParagon (Stop #2)
If one mall isn't enough, try next door at Gurney Paragon that consists of a 700,000 square feet shopping mall, an office tower and two high-end residential towers. Gurney Paragon is also known to incorporate the best of old and new architecture with the inclusion of St. Jo’s, which is formerly known as St Joseph’s Novitate.

GurneyDrive (Stop #3)
Seaside stroll is all you need after feasting at Gurney Drive Hawker Centre. Once known as the New Coast Road, Gurney Drive was completed in 1936 and was named after Sri Henry Gurney in 1952.

Former residence of the first Thai Prime Minister (Stop #4)
In 1932, the first Thai Prime Minister Phraya Manopakorn Nititada was exiled from Bangkok and he seeked refuge in Penang. His former residence still stands proudly on Bangkok Lane. He then moved to a new home in Bagan Jermal where Jalan Mano is named after him.

Masjid Jamek Lama (Stop #5)
Masjid Jamek Al-Munauwar is an important place of worship of the original Malay settlement of Kelawei Road. 'Kuala Awal' was its name before it was changed to Kelawei.

Church of Immaculate Conception (Stop #6)
Built in 1899, the Church of Immaculate Conception is a Roman Catholic church that was established by the Portuguese Eurasians who settled in Penang to escape persecution in Phuket.

Former Residence of Prince Wilbutsawat (Stop #9)
Visit the decades-old residence of Prince Wilbulsawat who once served as the secretary to King Prajahipok, also known as King Rama VII, who went in exile during the 1930s.

PulauTikusCommercialDistrict (Stop #10)
Enjoy the sights and sounds of Pulau Tikus like the locals do at their well-known commercial district. The place is dotted with local coffee shops, a wet market and a hawker centre.

BangkokLane (Stop #11)
Late multi-millionaire Cheah Leong Keah built Bangkok Lane in 1928, in hopes that his lineage would stay together within the same area. The name 'Bangkok Lane' was coined to commemorate the Siamese community that lived close to the heritage street.

WatChayamangkalaram (Stop #12)
Known as Penang's largest Siamese temple, Wat Chayamangkalaram was built on a land granted by British Governor W.L. Butterworth on behalf of Queen Victoria to the Siamese and Burmese communities in 1845. The temple's special feature includes the 35-meter gold-plate reclining Buddha statue bult in 1958.

Wat Chayamangkalaram
Dhammikarama Buddhist Temple (Stop #13)
Founded in August 1803, the 200 year old temple was formely called Nandy Moloh Burmese Temple. The walkways in the temple have a series of panels with beautiful murals depicting scenes of the journey of Prince Siddharta (dressed in typical Burmese fashion) achieving Nirvana and becoming the Buddha. The temple was awarded first prize in the Penang State Landscaping and Beautification program competition that was held in 2001.

Fu Su Kong (Tua Pek Kong) Temple (Stop #14)
Fu Su Kong is a Taoist temple on Jalan Burma since 1882. They mainly worship Fu De Zheng Shen and Shui Xian Zhun Wang. Fu Su Kong is open daily from 8am-8pm.

Masjid Jamek Al-Munasawar (Stop #15)
Masjid Jamek Al-Munasawar is located on Kelawei Road. Until the 1930s, Kelawei was shoreline and the Malays living there were mostly fishermen. It has since been renovated several times and serves as the major mosque in this area.

Cinnamon Hall (Stop #16)
Prince Damrong Rajanubhap, the founder of public administration in Siam was in exile in Penang from 1933 TO 1942. Cinnamon Hall was located at 15 Kelawei Road and became the residence of Prince Damrong during his exile. He continued to host many friends and dignitaries here.

Wat Buppharam (Stop #21)
Built by a monk Luang Por Sri Keow in 1915, the name of the temple means ‘Temple of Flowers’. Devotees seek answers by ‘lifting’ the famous Buddha image inside the temple.

Ang Hock See (previously Wat Sawan Arun) (Stop #22)
This temple was formerly a Siamese temple built in 1911. It was vacated during World War II and transformed into a Chinese temple. Sima stones and a big stupa within the temple compound remain the evidence of its past Siamese link.
'Pulau Tikus Loop' operates daily from 8.00am - 11.00pm on an hourly basis. The 30-minute bus ride begins from Gurney Plaza and stops at Gurney Paragon. Last bus leaves Gurney Plaza at 11.00pm and arrives at Gurney Paragon at 11.30pm. For hi-res version of Pulau Tikus Loop map

Operating Days
Monday - Sunday
Operating Hours
8.00am - 11.00pm (departs every hour)

Entrance Fee

Gurney Plaza, 170-06-01, Persiaran Gurney, George Town, 10250, Penang, MALAYSIA